Mayor and Council
Grande Prairie’s civic government is made up of the Mayor and eight councillors who are elected for three year terms. Read an individual profile on each member by visiting this page.
Mayor and Council meet up on a monthly basis for Council Meetings.
- When: The second Monday of every month
- Where: Council Chambers, first floor of City Hall
- Who: All members of the public are welcome to attend City Council meetings. To attend as a delegate, view more information here.
- What: At Council meetings, councillors set the long-term direction for the municipality, establish policy, pass bylaws, and approve budgets, tax mill rates, development, master plans and significant capital projects.
City Council is also divided into several committees that meet regularly. These committees include:
- Infrastructure and Protective Services
- Community Living
- Corporate Services
View a schedule for these meetings here.
Council Committee of the Whole is another meeting that takes place, occurring several times a year. This meeting is intended for Council to discuss issues in a less formal setting before they are presented at City Council meetings and a formal direction is finalized.
The City of Grande Prairie municipal structure is divided into three main services areas (Infrastructure and Protective Services, Community Living and Corporate Services) with over 30 departments.
Civic (municipal elections) occur every three years in Grande Prairie.
To vote in a municipal (civic) election, you must be a Canadian citizen, 18 years or older and have lived in Alberta for six months.
For more information on how to vote or run as a candidate, check out this page.
Municipal Government Day
Municipal Government Day is an annual event in Grande Prairie to showcase all of the work that each department does to support our community. It is a free event open to the public and features live music, a free community barbeque, children's activities and an entertainment schedule. More information for this event is available at cityofgp.com/mgd.
10205 98 Street
Grande Prairie, AB. T8V 6V3
Citizen Contact Centre Phone Number: