After You Arrive

Welcome to Grande Prairie!

Now that you have arrived in Grande Prairie, here is an overview of how to get started on the settlement process. Information on each of these items is available throughout the rest of the website. 

Apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN):

  • The Government of Canada uses Social Insurance Numbers (SINs) as identification for all Canadians
  • You must have a SIN to work in Canada
  • Apply for free at a Service Canada location or online

Apply for an Alberta Personal Health Card (AHHC):

  • You must have a personal health card to show that you get healthcare services paid for by the Alberta Health Care Insurance Plan (AHCIP)
  • It takes approximately a three-month waiting period from the date you arrive to receive a health card
  • Visit a registry office to apply

Apply for an Alberta Driver’s License (ADL):

  • If you want to drive in Grande Prairie, you must have an Alberta driver's license
  • You may be able to use your foreign driver’s license for one year

Alberta Photo ID Card:

For individuals who do not obtain a driver's license but still require government-issued photo identification.

Make a note of emergency and important phone numbers.

  • If you have an emergency, phone 9-1-1
  • You can call this number to stop a crime, report a fire, save a life or in any emergency when you need police, fire or ambulance assistance immediately
  • Call 9-1-1 only in an emergency

Other Information

Additional items to consider include housing, jobs, schools, places to learn English, a place of worship, recreational facilities, etc. 

More Sources of Important Information: